GIF’s (Patented format – Patent expired in 2000)
– Supported animated GIF’s too
PNG (Patent Free)
– 8 Bit color scheme + Rich true color pallette + Alpha transparency
– Delta Encoding – Represent pixels as delta of neighbour. 000000020000, and then compress 0’s. Represent all adjacent 0’s by say A
– 8*8 pixel boxes.
– Quantization – neighbours are rounded and therefore Lossy data compression
- Baseline – Data writte blocks after blocks. Therefore rendering also from baseline (say top left to right and down)
- Progressive – Random blocks are written. Read also in same manner, like FB(mobile) does – something is visible, even if hazy initially,
WebP – Supported by Google
JPGxR – Supported by Microsoft.